Today #QuestionOfTheWeekOnSmallClaimsCourt on #SKQOTW comes from Susie Woodland . Skay can you please tell me the difference as to why I should hire you or another company to handle my #SmallClaimsPaperwork or do it myself? If you can list the PROS and CONS of both that be great thank you. Love your questions of the week on small claims they are great keep up the great work and so thankful wish you had them more often. I finally got up enough nerve to email you to ask my own lol.
Thanks Susie Woodland
Hi Susie, This is a very good question and I am glad you asked this as this is a question we are asked over the phone daily. I would be more then happy to answer.
Doing your small claims yourself can be hard, I am not going to lie. It’s important to fill out your documents correctly. If you don’t know what you’re doing it can turn into a mess and cost more money in the long run. Why can’t I just do it myself most people think? The small claims laws and small claim processes, the court procedures, what forms are needed, and how to complete the forms correctly are all huge parts of why it is helpful to have professionals handle your paperwork. If you have a (LDL) Legal Document Assistance professionally prepare your small claims documents we know what we are doing as this is our job, we handle small claims lawsuits on a daily basis. We know the ins and out of the court system and with each court in California not being the same its important to have your small claims done correctly and filed in the correct venue. I will list the Pros and Cons of doing it yourself as well of the Pros and Cons of hiring us EZ Small Claims or doing your small claims . I can’t make the same guarantees for other companies as I do not work for them. EZ Small Claims is a division of Yale Attorney Service that my father started in 1984. We are a family owned and operated business. Everyone here is family that works for our company we like to keep those family values and knowing our clients by name not a order number. The choice is really up to you and if you have the time to handle how much time go into the paperwork, going to the court, finding a server, and trying to prepare your case on your own is hard. Below is the list I am going to give you of the Pro’s and Cons to both.
Doing your small claims yourself:
•You can save money by doing the documents yourself if you know how to do them and not have to pay someone to type and file them and stand in line. you can save some money on cost.
•You don’t have to pay someone to stand in line and can do it yourself. You pay the parking yourself and don’t have to worry as you know you’re handling it and saving money.
• You don’t have to call or message our office and you know you did it .
Cons of doing it yourself:
• You have to find parking and some courts charge for parking.
• You have to go through the metal detector find your department then wait in a long line even before getting to the line where the clerk is.
• You have to stand in a very long line that doesn’t move and the wait time can be 2-6 hours or more depending how busy the courthouse is that day.
•If you make a mistake you have to go to the end of the line and start over again without help.
•The clerk cannot help you with filling out your small claims documents if you make a mistake you’re on your own.
• The clerk cannot give legal advice on how to fill out your small claims correctly which can leave you upset angry and in tears and want to give up and say screw it and walk out, we have seen it often and happens more then you think.
•You can spend your entire day at the courthouse on your own time.
•If you fill out your documents wrong or list the defendant’s wrong you case can get rejected and or dismissed before or the day of court and you would have to start all over, meaning you have to pay the filing fees and looking for a process server to reserve your claim and waste more of your own time and money on the lawsuit you are working so hard to get the money back from. If you work this is very hard.
•You have no one to guide or assist you with doing the documents and each court has different rules and regulations that must be followed and if you don’t you could jeopardize your case.
•You have to find someone or a process server and pay them to serve your papers and type and file your proof of service(s)
• All documents have a time frame and must be done and log in with the court by certain days or your case will be dismissed.
Hiring EZ Small Claims to assist you with your small claims
• We professionally prepare all of the documents for your small claims court case by typing them all for you taking the stress and burden off you .
• We conduct name searches with the county records office and in our database to make sure the defendants are listed correctly on your small claims.
• We file your claim with the appropriate California court this is very important and many people who file on their own file in the wrong court.
• We will professionally serve the defendant (the person or entity that you are suing) with all necessary court documents.
•Our process servers are license and bonded by the state.
• We type and file proof(s) of service with the court after the defendant(s) have been successfully served for you.
•We are here for questions and concerns during your entire claims process if needed.
•When requested we will send you a small claims pointers packet to help you to know what to expect when going to court.
•We are here for ongoing customer care and support before your court date during the whole process to answer and address your needs. .
•We handle all the hard work for you, by typing, filing, serving, and filing the proof of service all for you. We take the stress and worry off you by handling it for you. This means you have more time in the day to do what is most important to you and let someone else handle and worry about the important dates.
• We will remind you of your court date and time and send you all your documents again in case you lose them.
• You have the assurance that your case is being handled professionally.
• At EZ Small Claims We help you from start to finish and are here every step of the way for you. From the start to finish we are here for you.
Hiring EZ Small Claims to assist you with your small claims.
•Now you do have to pay a document preparation fee of $100.00 for us to type and file your small claim, but I don’t see this as a con, we do so much more that goes along with the document preparation fee and you really get more bang for your buck as we go the extra mile for our clients.
We know our clients by name and not a order number. You filing fee and process serving fee is refundable added on top of the judgment so you are only actually paying $100.00 to EZ Small Claims.
Many companies are out there can assist your with your small claims lawsuit, but I like to say at EZ Small Claims we go above and beyond for our clients and give you the time to answers your questions, concerns, and help you prepare for court at no added cost.
If your case is a local Southern California case we are fast and the turnaround time is fast compare to other companies out there that it can take weeks to over a month or two to get a copy of your filed small claims back in less you pay rush fee’s. Even with Northern California we still have your documents back faster than any other leading company out there.
It is your choice what you like to do as far as filing your small claims yourself or hire a company to assist you. At EZ Small Claims we are rated A+ with the BBB and have a 5 star rating on Facebook and Google.
If you like us to assist you with you small claims please visit our website at www.ezsmallclaims.net or call our office at (909) 986-0883
If you have a #QuestionOfTheDayOnSmallClaimsCourt please message me or email me at SKQUESTIONOFTHEDAY@GMAIL.COM
Any question on #SmallClaims Court I’ll be happy to answer your questions in my #SKQOTD.
Small Claims Specialist
EZ Small Claims